Sunday 23 December 2012

Break Free From Your Chain of Labels

CHAIN, CHAIN, CHAIN... CHAIN, CHAIN, CHAIN... CHAIN, CHAIN, CHAIN... CHAIN OF FOOLS. DO YOU REMEMBER THIS GREAT SONG FROM ARETHA FRANKLIN? How many women do you think identify with it???

If there is one LESSON I wish I would have gotten earlier in my life, it would be to break free from the chains of NEGATIVE LABELS myself and society put on my life.

Can you believe... she's divorced again... I don't want to be single... Oh, I feel sorry for her, she can't have kids, she's an idiot to go back to him... man, can you believe how much weight she's gained... she is really looking old... boy, what a fool! You get the picture??? That is my story!

What's your story? Were you called stupid as a child or by a husband? Did you file for bankruptcy? Have you never been married and labelled as an old maid? Have you never had children? Whatever the label, we most often identify with the negative emotion attached to harsh, cruel, unthoughtful words said about us.

How unfortunate that we let other people's words or our own, have such a hold on our lives! They may be true circumstances but they are not who we are. Like a broken record, you replay it over and over in your mind and before you know it you start believing it. If you continue to wear the label, your chain will get tighter and tighter until you're ready to snap.

You can break free and if you must wear a label, at least, wear one that tells the truth about who you are. If not, you will remain held captive and locked in your chain of labels possibly the rest of your life.

First I want to say, a label does not define who you are!!! Let me say that again, a label does not define who you are. There are many aspects of our life. Until you make the choice to break free you cannot experience the bliss of freedom. For the first time in my life, I do not identify with being Miss or Mrs., single, alone, young, or old. I'm just happy being me! It is very liberating.

I still get an occasional zing, like when someone says, can you believe they've been married three times? You would think they have the plague or something. Now, I just dismiss the thought and say that's not who I am.

So, how do you break free from the chain of labels? You make a conscious decision to forget who you thought you were and discard all the harsh, condemning words you have heard from others or said about yourself over the years. Just remember, God created you! He knows everything about you and loves you any way. People make mistakes. Learn from them and create a beautiful life for yourself. You deserve it!

Once you have discarded the old thoughts that have condemned you, then you can begin to relabel your thoughts with kind words. Surround yourself with people who will encourage and build you up. You are more than any old label. You are a courageous, strong, amazing woman. Write a new song for your life!

Just like Aretha said, "One of these mornings that chain is gonna break". Why don't you let it be today???!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment